A Tax Collector from Uganda
Allen Catherine Kagina is the Commissioner General of the Uganda Revenue Authority (the equivalent of the IRS in the United States. At the 2014 Global Leadership Summit, she shared her story of transforming the Ugandan tax authority from one of the most corrupt organizations in the country...
- In 2013, Africa was the fastest growing continent.
- The media doesn't cover this, but poverty in Africa has declined -- from 57% in 2000 to 48% in 2010.
- Pre 2004, we were one of the most corrupt organizations in Africa.
- I got the head job with no training in business.
- God doesn't know the division between church and politics or church and business. We are the ones who build these walls.
- We drew a new organization. We terminated 2,000 people and gave them the opportunity to reapply. We fired 500 people and became a much cleaner and more competent organization.
- Because we brought God into how we treat people and do business -- our revenue has increased 317% in the last 10 years.
- I am convinced that if we invite God to business and our public areas--I believe God will take over and we'll begin to see better societies.