In the afternoon session of the Willow Creek Arts Conference, Dan Kimball (who has very interesting hair) talked about some disturbing trends in church.
- The good news is that there is a growing interest in spiritual things in our culture.
- There is a fascination in our culture with Jesus. It may seem superficial—but it is a good thing, because we can use it to start spiritual conversations.
- Gandhi said: "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are not like your Christ."
- As we move into what is more of a post-Christian culture, more people are born in the new culture. And we get so busy with church activity and planning worship…we escaped the world and created our own Christian subculture and bubble.
- John 17:15 – "My prayer is not that you take them out of the world, but that you protect them from the evil one."
- Are we so focused on planning church services—that we've forgotten to be the church?
- Six things that nonbelievers say about us: 1) The church is organized religion and interested in right-wing politics; 2) The church is judgmental and negative; 3) The church is a male-dominated that oppresses females; 4) The church is homophobic; 5) The church arrogantly believes they are right and all other religions are wrong; 6) The church is full of fundamentalists who take the whole Bible literally.
- Most Christians and churches are not like the ones being described. But that is the perception.